We hope you don't have a problem, but if you do …

Student Complaint Procedures


1. If a student has a complaint regarding any member of any of the Seminary boards, faculty, administration, staff, graders, or individuals of those bodies, that issue must be handled in accord with the following procedures. All complaints must be submitted in writing and are kept in the Office of the President.

2. If a complaint involves the Seminary Board members, it should first be presented to the President of the seminary in writing. If the student does not feel the complaint has been resolved, it should then be presented to the Chairman of the Board of Trustees. The decision of the Board of Trustees shall be considered final.

3. If a complaint involves the President, faculty, staff, or graders, the student should first approach the particular person(s) with a view toward resolution. Academic issues regarding transcripts and the like should be directed first to the Registrar.

4. If the student does not feel that the issue has been resolved, the following actions should take place: A complaint involving the President should then be presented in writing to the chairman of the Board of Trustees. Decision of the Board is final. An unresolved complaint such as harassment, immorality, and the like involving a faculty or staff member should be presented to the Academic Dean. An unresolved complaint involving a grader should be presented to the appropriate faculty member and next to the Academic Dean. Students are given opportunity for confidential input.

5. If the student still does not feel the concern has been resolved, the following actions should take place: 

(a) Non–academic complaints should then be presented to the Student Affairs Committee. The Student Affairs Committee shall be comprised of the Director of Student Services, the Academic Dean, Dean of Students, the Business Manager, one faculty member, and the President of the Student Government Association. The students are responsible first to see that they have exhausted the aforementioned measures before bringing the concern to the Student Affairs Committee. The Student Affairs Committee will determine how the grievance will be resolved. The Student Affairs Committee’s decision shall be considered final. 

(b) If the concern is academic related, the complaint should then be presented to the Faculty, who will make the final decision.

6. If students are not satisfied with the decision of the Student Affairs Committee or the Faculty, they may file complaints in writing with an accrediting body or government agency.

Academic Dean
15009 Lancaster Hwy
Charlotte, NC 28173

(requires Populi login)

(704) 847-5600

Accreditation and complaint procedure

If a student’s complaint is not addressed satisfactorily or within a reasonable length of time, a complaint may also be submitted to a government or accreditation agency.

Grievance process for The Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools

SES is a TRACS-accredited school and cooperates with TRACS in all matters pertaining to complaint proceedings. If a student, administrator, staff member or faculty member has a grievance/ complaint that he or she wants to file with TRACS against SES, he or she can obtain a TRACS complaint form from the Academic Dean’s office, the VP Operation’s office, or from the websites provided below. The forms contain details for filing a complaint with TRACS:

TRACS Complaint Policy
TRACS Complaint Form

Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools
15935 Forest Road
Forest, VA 24551

(434) 525-9539

State Authorization and Complaint Procedures

Grievance process for the United States Department of Education

If a person believes Southern Evangelical Seminary violated the regulations as stated in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a complaint may be filed within 180 days of the alleged violation to The Family Policy.

U.S. Department of Education
Family Policy Compliance Office
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202- 4605

NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Process

If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s complaint procedures, they may also review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF) for North Carolina Post-Secondary Education institutions, print out and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF), and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
223 S. West Street, Suite 1800
Raleigh, NC 27603

For more information, students can contact the NC Post-Secondary Education offices.

Student Complaint Information by State and Agency

For more information on how to submit a complaint within your own state, click here.


SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for North Carolina

SARA North Carolina
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629

(855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162) OR
919-549-8614, ext. 4667

Link to SARA-NC Complaint Process: http://www.saranc.org/Complaint.html
Link to SARA-NC Complaint Form: http://www.saranc.org/docs/SARA-NC-ComplaintForm.pdf

Professional Licensure Disclosure

Please note that Southern Evangelical Seminary’s certificate and degree programs do not fulfill any professional licensure requirements.

SARA-NC State Portal Entity Contact

For more information on SARA-NC in North Carolina,
contact Terrence R. Scarborough, M.P.A.

Director of SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629

919-549-8614, ext. 4667

[email protected]


Apologetics-Focused Academics

Featured Academic Programs

Apologetics-Focus Undergraduate


SES offers a Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies designed to prepare students for later graduate work in apologetics, philosophy, biblical studies, and more. Some hours can even be applied to M.A. studies.

Apologetics-Focus Graduate


In addition to apologetics degrees, several academically rigorous Masters degrees are available that provide students with integrated and in-depth studies that will prepare you for ministry or doctoral work.

Seminary education that prepares you.


A Doctor of Ministry in Apologetics (D.Min.) as well as a Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy of Religion (Ph.D.) offer students opportunities to develop their own research and practical resources.