Dr. Melton Winstead is Assistant Professor of New Testament and Dean of Students at Southern Evangelical Seminary.
His interests are in: New Testament, Apologetics, Theology, and Culture.
Teaching courses in World Religions; New Testament; New Testament Greek; Old Testament; and Christian Literature, NT History and Backgrounds, Dr. Winstead contributed to the Lexham Bible Dictionary in Logos and has also published essays, articles, and book reviews.
- Ph.D., 2011, New Testament, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (Dissertation: The Significance of Verbal Aspect on the Participles in Hebrews With Special Reference to 6:1-12)
- M.Div., 2005, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.A., 2001, Piedmont Baptist College
Book Chapters Authored
- Dictionary of the Bible and Western Culture by Michael Gilmour and Mary Ann Beavis, eds.Essays submitted on “Cities of Refuge,” “Old Testament,” “Bible,” Behemoth,” “Galilee, Sea of.”
- Logos Online Bible Dictionary by John Barry, ed.Entries submitted on “Matthew, Book of,” “2 Corinthians, Book of,” “1 Peter, Book of,” and “Herod the Great.”
- Co-authored “When the Scales are Unjust: Invalid Methods of Evaluation,” Faith and Mission vol 23, no. 3, (2006): 54-65.
- “An Integration of Biblical Theology and Some Tools of Discourse Analysis: Hebrews 8:6-13 As a Case Study.” Christian Apologetics Journal vol 12, no, 1 (2013): 65-85.
- “The Significance of Verbal Aspect on the Participles in Hebrews 6:1-12.” Criswell Theological Review vol 12, no. 1 (2014): 109-121.
- “An Overview of Christology in the Letter to the Hebrews.” Christian Apologetics Journal vol 13, no. 1 (2015): 5-22.
- Verbal Aspect by Constantine R. Campbell, 2008. Reviewed for Criswell Theological Review (2010).
- Fabricating Jesus: How Modern Scholars Distort the Gospels by Craig Evans, 2006. Reviewed for Faith and Mission (2008).
- Dictionary of Biblical Criticism and Interpretation by Stanley E. Porter, ed., 2007. Reviewed for Faith and Mission.
- Encountering the Manuscripts: An Introduction to New Testament Paleography & Textual Criticism by Philip Comfort, 2005, Reviewed for Faith and Mission (2006).
- One Gospel From Two: Mark’s Use of Matthew and Luke by David B. Peabody, 2002. Reviewed for Faith and Mission (2005).
- Holman Quick Source Guide to Christian Apologetics, by Doug Powell, 2006. Reviewed for Journal For Baptist Theology and Mission (2007).
- The Gospel According to Isaiah 53. Encountering the Suffering Servant in Jewish and Christian Theology by Darrel Bock and Mitch Glaser, eds., 2012. Reviewed for Christian Apologetics Journal (2014).
- Instructor of World Religions, South Piedmont Community College (2007 – 2012).
- Adjunct Professor of New Testament and Greek, Shepherds Theological Seminary (2007 – 2009).
- Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies, Southern Evangelical Seminary (2011-2016).
- Assistant Professor of New Testament, and Dean of Students, Southern Evangelical Seminary (2016-present).
- Pastor, Mt. Moriah Baptist Church (2007 – present).
- Summer Internship, Baptists for Israel Institute (1997).
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Mel is married to Heather, and they have two daughters, Lydia and Mahalah.